Thursday, October 11, 2007

test, introduction

This is the inaugural post for a professional blog that tracks my participation in the Queens Library Learning 2.0 program for library employees.

For the next 13 weeks, we will be working our way through an array of tutorials and challenges designed to engage us in new information technologies on the Internet.

That sentence sounds pretty dated! Actually, for the next few months we will be trying out new and/or established social networking tools like Twitter, Flickr, various wikis and blogs and other 2.0-type things. Check out the site:

http://www.queenslibrarylearning.blogspot.com/

While I've been dabbling in most of these activities for the past couple of years, it's kind of exciting to have these activities be officially sanctioned by my workplace. There's been a lot of conversation in the library world about possible applications of 2.0 in public libraries, but aside from telling 8 year-olds to get off of MySpace every day, I haven't been able to incorporate any of this theory into my day-t0-day actions and practices on the job.

I called this blog "No Cellphones" because I spend an overwhelming amount of time, in a variety of ways, asking adults and children to please get off the phone. I'm sure that most librarians can relate!

So enjoy, and stay posted!

1 comment:

hood_and_hat said...

Sometimes I think we should keep counts, like with the reference statistics, of how often we have to tell people they cannot use their phones in the library.