Sunday, October 21, 2007

Step 5 - In this library there are no....

One of the kids at my branch has decided that he wants to be a librarian, so he's been hanging around the ref desk, wearing a set of keys around his neck, asking patrons if they need help, and a bunch of other kind-of-sweet, yet kind-of-annoying things.

When I found this posted prominently in the children's room, I laughed and took it down, but didn't connect him to it. Its been a busy week, and any number of the kids could have put it up as a joke.

However, when I found a replacement copy 2 days later, in the exact same location, I knew exactly who had put it up.

I don't know how to feel about it - on one hand, it's pretty funny and cute. On the other hand, it bums me out that he thinks that being a librarian is about bossing people around and telling them how to act. I mean, "no hanging out", "no cursing"? I am not the behavior police.

But maybe that's how we come off.

While I'm not going to read too much into this, I am going to use it as an opportunity to be more aware of how other people, especially young people, perceive and interpret my behavior - and how they connect it to their larger views of the profession as a whole.

No comments: